Whānau responsiveness and services
- Has the notifier spoken with te tamaiti?
- Has the notifier spoken with family/whānau?
- If so, what was the response?
- What services can meet the needs of te tamaiti and their whānau?
- Are there factors impacting on the capacity or willingness of the whānau (eg disability, intellectual functioning or illness)?
- Is there an adult willing and able to meet the immediate needs of te tamaiti?
- Are there other factors that help reduce the risk of neglect and abuse?
- What plan is in place?
- Make sure to also consider the safety and wellbeing of siblings or other tamariki in the same household.
Vulnerability, pattern and impact
- Are there factors which make te tamaiti particularly vulnerable (eg age, disability, cognitive or developmental issues)?
- Is there a pattern (frequency and severity) that raises concerns?
- Consider cumulative harm — what impact are the concerns having on te tamaiti?
Willingness and capacity
- Do te tamaiti and their whānau acknowledge the need for additional supports?
- Is there motivation to engage?
- Has te tamaiti committed an offence?
- What is the nature of this offence?
- Are police involved?