Working with tamariki or whānau who have a disability

You may encounter tamariki (children and young people) and/or whānau/ family who have a disability. It is important that you establish whether whānau are accessing any appropriate disability supports via the health pathway.

Your first port of call to establish this is by asking te tamaiti parents/ caregivers if they are linked in with their local Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) agency. They may not be or may not know who these agencies are — the NASC website will provide a link in order to establish this.

Find your local NASC

If they are unable to tell you contact the local NASC and ask them if the whānau are receiving disability supports. If not request their eligibility criteria and referral pathway.

Possible supports for whānau of disabled tamariki and information about out-of-home placements for disabled tamariki are outlined under section 141 of the Oranga Tamariki Act 1989.

Disability provisions of the Oranga Tamariki Act 1989

Disability practice triggers and resources

Disability — Frequently Asked Questions