What's involved in a caregiver review
We review our caregivers’ approval status every 2 years.
We also review them:
- if they have a significant change in circumstances
- if they wish to change their approval type, or
- following an investigation or assessment of an allegation of abuse, neglect, or harm of tamariki by the caregiver.
The process for reviewing adoptive applicants while they're waiting for a placement is slightly different.
Adoptive applicant support and review
1 Meeting with the caregiver at their home
You must meet with each approved caregiver in their home.
2 Get feedback from others
You must also:
- consult with the social worker of any tamariki placed with the caregiver
- consult with other agencies working with te tamaiti.
3 Consider their circumstances
You must also consider:
- their current circumstances
- any changes in circumstances since their last review
- the physical environment of their home
- the details of any allegations or investigations.
4 Redo their suitability checks
This includes renewing their:
- police check (including family violence check)
- CYRAS check
- medical report
- referee check.
6 Review their support plan
We have a plan showing how we're working to support each of our caregivers.