We modify our usual social work practice approach in the context of a measles outbreak to prevent the transmission of the virus.
Measles and immunisation

Page URL: https://practice.orangatamariki.govt.nz/policy/transition-to-adulthood-maintaining-contact/
Printed: 19/05/2024
Printed pages may be out of date. Please check this information is current before using it in your practice.

Listen to this policy:

Transition to adulthood — Maintaining contact

We must maintain contact with eligible rangatahi who have left care or a youth justice residential placement when a transition worker isn’t available through a local provider.

When this policy doesn’t apply

This policy doesn’t apply if there’s a transition worker available through a local Transition to Adulthood provider who we can match rangatahi with.

Policy: Transition to adulthood — Preparation, assessment and planning

Preparing to leave our care

What you’re responsible for as a transition worker

If you take on the role of transition worker it’s your responsibility to proactively maintain contact with eligible rangatahi after they leave care or a youth justice residential placement.

You must ensure rangatahi:

  • can receive their advice and assistance entitlements
  • are supported to become increasingly independent.

Who is eligible for a transition worker

Rangatahi are eligible if all of the following are true:

  • they are aged from 15 up to when they turn 21 years old
  • they have been in care for a continuous period of at least 3 months at any time from the age of 14 years and 9 months
  • their period of continuous care was any combination of the following care or custody arrangements:
    • a care and protection placement in:
      • the care or custody of the chief executive (including court wardship under section 33 of the Care of Children Act 2004)
      • an iwi social service
      • a cultural social service
      • the director of a child and family support service
    • a youth justice residential placement (including remand)
    • Police custody (remand) before turning 18
    • under a remand placement or a prison sentence in the adult justice system before turning 18 years.

What you should do if rangatahi makes contact

When an eligible rangatahi makes contact, you must:

  • respond as soon as you’re reasonably able to, and
  • record your contact with them.

Contact by rangatahi may also come through Advice and Assistance requests.

Policy: Transition to adulthood — Advice and assistance

What you should do if the relationship with rangatahi breaks down when trying to maintain contact

You must still take reasonable steps to maintain contact with rangatahi. If appropriate, reasonable actions must be made to find an alternative staff member or Transition to Adulthood provider to maintain contact with rangatahi. These endeavours must be recorded on CYRAS.

Keep accurate records